Friday, October 23, 2009

Ten Commandments for a Responsible Pet Owner

On my last post I listed the 10 Commandments for pet owners as dictated by the pet. I really feel strongly about every one of these. Our pets have very few ways of communicating to us how they feel. I read these over and over and every time it stirs up some emotions about how they really feel. So I decided to comment on all ten of them in my future posts...starting with the first one:

My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful.

This reminds me of last week when I made a trip to Florida for the weekend for a convention. I had to leave really early Thursday morning to catch my plane. Apparently when my housemate returned from dropping me off, the cat immediately started to search the entire house to see where I had gone and being very vocal about the whole thing. And as the weekend went by the searching and crying continued. He began to act out his frustrations by pestering the dog and not allowing anyone to get much sleep and pretty much being a royal pain in the "you know what". But thinking back...this was his only way of communicating that he was upset that I was not around. He did not understand the words "she will be back". All he saw was the absence of his "mom".

We need to spend a little extra time and attention on our pets when someone they see every day and who they depend on goes away for a few days. Stop what you are doing for a few minutes and give them a belly rub or two. Talk to them in a calm voice if they seem upset and give them an extra treat once in awhile. If they see in you that everything is ok and that it is only a temporary separation it just might help them make it through until they their "loved one" walk back through the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on Your Mind