Saturday, October 31, 2009

Command # 2 for a Responsible Pet Owner

Have you ever been to a foreign land where you did not speak the language? It’s frustrating isn’t it? I liken it to what Charlie Brown hears when listening to his teacher or his parents. If you stop and think about it...that’s probably what a pet feels when you are speaking to them, especially when you are trying to get them to do something. This brings me to number two of the Ten Commandments for a Responsible Pet Owner...(as dictated by the pet) ”Give me time to understand what you want from me.” (If you don’t know what I am talking about look at my first post on these ten commandments.)

We are all guilty of getting frustrated with our cat or dog when we get that puzzled look from them after we have finished barking a command at them. Especially if we are telling them to stop doing whatever it is they are doing. Most of the time they will just go right back to whatever it is we wanted them to stop doing. Ever wonder why? Ok...in some cases your pet just might be “testing” you or trying to yank your chain so to speak. But my guess is your dog or cat just doesn’t understand what it is you are asking them to do.

I look back on all the times I “asked” my dog to please stop chewing his paw. I get the puzzled look and then it is right back to the chewing. He has no idea what I am asking him to do...he does not speak my language. So maybe we need to have a little patience and speak “their” language. Pets understand us by the pitch of our voice. If you yell it may be threatening to them. If you spit out a bunch of words they are not going to understand them anyway. Maybe we should just get down to their level, distract them from what they are doing and then reward them with praise when you succeed in your “request”.

We just need to practice patience and understanding when it comes to communicating with our pets. Put yourself in their shoes...or paws in this case. Remember how you felt when someone was speaking to you in a foreign language and you had that same puzzled look on your face as your dog or cat does with you. Show them what you want and reward them when they do “get it”.

Feed your pet Life's Abundance Premium Pet Nutrition...all natural, holistic ingredients

Visit Koby's Best Choice Pet Supplies for all your pets needs

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on Your Mind